480 Adams St - #204 - Milton, MA 02186
(617) 698 - 7850

Watch out! Auto accidents on the rise

According to the National Safety Council, serious injuries and fatalities from motor vehicle crashes are on the rise, continuing a troubling multiyear surge that experts believe is being fueled in part by more people driving while distracted by cellphones and other devices. Other factors include an improving economy, lower gas prices, and younger, more inexperienced drivers. And the costs are rising with repairs and greater medical and loss of income expenses.

Massachusetts is a “no-fault” state when it comes to auto insurance. If you have the misfortune of being injured in an accident, this means each person files a claim with his or her own insurance company for personal injury protection (PIP) and other benefits. Typically, drivers cannot take one another to court for costs associated with the crash, unless these conditions are met:

  • the injured person must have incurred at least $2,000 in reasonable medical expenses, and/or
  • injuries resulting from the accident must include permanent and serious disfigurement, fractured bone, or substantial loss of hearing or sight
As part of the compulsory insurance, your insurance company pays covered benefits up to $8,000 per person in any one accident under Personal Injury Protection (PIP). It covers basic medical payments, which can include medical expenses, up to 75% of loss of wages, and replacement services (such as childcare) resulting from an auto accident. Your policy will detail who is entitled to receive benefits from this coverage.
Collision and comprehensive coverage aren’t compulsory in Massachusetts, but many drivers add this coverage to pay for repairs or replacement of a damaged vehicle.

When you’re not covered
If you are injured while driving under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, or a narcotic drug, while committing a felony or seeking to avoid arrest by a police officer, or with specific intent of causing injury to yourself or others, it is deemed that you contributed to your own injury and you won’t receive benefits under PIP.

Also, PIP is not available for motorcycles, although a Medical Payments option is available on the MA auto insurance policy for riders and passengers.

Also, if you fail to list any “customary” operator or licensed household member, your insurance company might refuse to pay your claim.


What’s a PUP?

“PUP” stands for Personal Umbrella Policy, which provides an extra layer of very affordable liability protection for your personal assets and future earnings.
ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. That’s why people have insurance. However, if you aren’t protected by a personal umbrella policy, you could be putting your house or your financial assets at risk.

Read More…

Flood Insurance

Just an inch of water can cause significant property damage. Insurance coverage is considerably less expensive than federal disaster loans and it’s 100 percent backed by the U.S. government
Be Smart, Be Prepared with Flood Insurance Talk to PIKE Insurance today about whether you should purchase this important coverage to protect…

Read More…

Renee Pike’s 10 Ways to Lower Home Insurance Costs

Deductibles are the amount of money you have to pay toward a loss before your policy coverage begins. Deductibles on homeowners policies typically start at $500. By increasing your deductible to $1,000, you could save up to 24 percent; $2,500, up to 30 percent; and $5,000, up to 37 percent, depending, of course, on your insurance company.

Read More…

The Top 10 Reasons to Purchase the Rental Car Coverage

To paraphrase Shakespeare, “To purchase the CDW or not to purchase the CDW, that is the question.” It has been debated for years whether or not a person renting a vehicle should purchase the Collision (or Loss) Damage Waiver from the rental company. Our recommendation is that consumers, in general, SHOULD purchase …

Read More…

Personal Insurance

  • Homeowners
  • Condominium Owners
  • Tenants
  • Autos
  • Umbrella
  • Inland Marine
  • Fire
  • Watercraft
  • Motorcycle
  • Flood
  • Snowmobile
  • Mobile Homes
  • Workers Compensation for Nannies and Domestic Help

Business Insurance

  • Condominium Association Master Policies
  • Business Owners
  • Commercial Auto
  • Umbrella
  • Malpractice
  • Property
  • General Liability
  • Professional Liability
  • Workers Compensation
  • Flood
  • Inland Marine

Follow us on