What insurance policies are available for heavy-duty tow trucks?
Heavy-duty to trucks that tow semis, fire trucks, heavy equipment and other large vehicles present unique insurance considerations.
Operators with these types of wreckers should consult with a specialized agent to identify their coverage needs, and to find a suitable policy. An agent who’s well-versed in the details of towing insurance policies will be able to find a policy that provides the robust coverages these wreckers require.
What coverages do tow truck policies come with?
Tow truck policies typically satisfy state minimum requirements while also offering a variety of other protections. Some essential or strongly recommended coverages for operators include:
- Physical Damage Coverage: May cover damage to insured wrecker(s) that results from accidents involving other vehicles.
- Comprehensive Coverage: May cover non-accident-related damage to the insured wrecker that results from animal strikes, falling trees, hail, fire, theft, etc.
- On-Hook Towing Coverage: May cover damage to towed vehicles while the vehicles are on a wrecker.
- Garage Services Coverage: May cover damage to towed vehicles while the vehicles are at a garage, service center, impound lot, etc.
- Tow Truck Liability Coverage: May cover third-party injuries and property damage occurring during accidents.
- Medical Payments Coverage: May cover medical expenses that result from injuries occurring during accidents.
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist Coverage: May cover accidents involving inadequately insured drivers, whether uninsured or underinsured.
Several other coverages may be necessary or desirable for towing operators. A knowledgeable insurance agent can help operators determine what coverage options are best for their particular situation.